Credit Score After Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Score After Discharge

Hi! How much should I expect my credit score to go up after my 13 is discharged?

A Chapter 13 discharge is much different than a Chapter 7 discharge when it comes to credit score. Your score should have already been improving over the life of the Chapter 13. It is difficult to compare and guess. You may get a modest boost (10-20 points) to a healthy boost (40-70 points). There is just no way to tell because your specific credit profile will matter. The bankruptcy will still be counted against you but in two years, with planning and keeping your credit clean and below 9% utilization on one card, could be in the low to mid 700s. When your Chapter 13 drops off after 2-4 years, depending on if you were in a 5 or 3 year plan, respectively, you could be in the mid to upper 700s easily.

But, the short story is that no one can tell. I can't tell you what to expect. It should be over 620 but I don't know if how much of a boost you'll get.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I don't think my scores went up a single point after my Chapter 13 discharge; in fact, after applying and being approved for a few credit cards, my scores dropped for about 18 months. The real bang in the scoring department happens when your Chapter 13 falls off your credit report (typically 23 months, give or take a month or two) after your discharge; in my case, my scores popped from the mid- to high-600s and very low-700s to well over 800 all in one swell foop when my Chapter 13 aged off my reports.
      Chapter 13 (not 100%):
      • Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank cum Bank of Southern California
      • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
      • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
      • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
      • 60th Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
      • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
      • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X