When to get a secured card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to get a secured card?

When would it be ok to try for a secured card....???....after the 341??? how long after filing ??
    as long as its allowed....thanks

Well you'll hate the answer: it depends. In most cases, the Chapter 13 Trustee will tell you that you cannot incur any debt while in the Chapter 13. Now, that is nuanced because it is a secured card, but it is considered credit. If I were represented, I'd ask my attorney about how your district and Chapter 13 Trustee handle this. If you are pro se (not represented) you may need to contact the Chapter 13 Trustee to seek permission.

Be aware that some creditors will not even issue a secured card when you're in an active Chapter 13.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Attorney said it was fine. Just looking to have one for travel. 👍

Comment

If you are eligible to join NFCU, they have arguably one of the best secured cards going. When I finished up my Chapter 13 (couldn't have a secured card during) I opted for the secured card from TDBank (which I do not believe is in your area) with a $5,000 limit. At the time I was counseled to make sure I got a card which had enough headroom above $2,000 to accommodate my normal spending and still leave that amount available as some car rental agencies would refuse to rent if you didn't have at least that much available credit.

Regarding banks with secured cards you might want to look into (if you aren't able to join NFCU):
        • Discover
        • USBank
        • BMO-Harris
        Regarding most common banks found in Arizona not listed above, I do not believe Chase and Wells Fargo have a secured card offering, PNC Bank gets lots of negative reviews on their graduation policy (or lack thereof) for secured cards, and BofA is very bankruptcy unfriendly.
        Chapter 13 (not 100%):
        • Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank cum Bank of Southern California
        • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
        • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
        • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
        • 60th Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
        • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
        • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X