dispute debt collector pulls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dispute debt collector pulls?

I pulled my credit reports earlier today and saw a handful of collection companies as hard credit pulls.. Can I dispute the pulls since I didn't intentionally originate them? lol

No because in the documentation you signed when you originally obtained the credit, they can pull your credit reports at any time (pull out those fine print brochures and read them - you will be surprised what you agreed to). You apparently are late on items or have nonpayments and certain creditors are checking up on you due to that.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

This just seems a little cheeky since the reports were pulled either on the day of filling Ch7, or the next day or two.

Doesn't really matter in the big picture, they'll fall off before I actually start looking to finance a home, just thought it would be nice to have a "clean" section of my credit report in the time being.

Comment

It's unlikely that those are hard pulls, and if they are you can and should dispute that. An existing creditor can pull your credit anytime, but it must be a soft pull.
        BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FijiTime View Post
          This just seems a little cheeky since the reports were pulled either on the day of filling Ch7, or the next day or two.

Doesn't really matter in the big picture, they'll fall off before I actually start looking to finance a home, just thought it would be nice to have a "clean" section of my credit report in the time being.
          I think what you saw on there are "soft" pulls....hard pulls are only when you apply for credit and you allow the creditor, with your signature, to pull your credit reports to obtain credit. Soft pulls are done by creditors you already have to check up on you as to an offer to increase your credit line, see what's going on, etc. They can do that. Hard pulls stay on your credit reports for two years. Soft pulls do not mean a thing and are only reported to you when you obtain your credit reports.

Comment

Flamingo, you are talking about what is suppose to be done by the creditors. It does not always happen that way. Sometimes a creditor will do a hard pull anyway - even if the debtor did not initiate an inquiry. In that case it is considered a violation and can be disputed off.

Just look at the notation next to the inquiry to determine if it is a hard pull or a soft pull. A soft pull usually has a notation of, for example, AR for account review or PRM for promotion. There is a key in the report for you to determine what type of inquiry was performed.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Hard pulls and soft pulls are usually listed separately with hard pulls showing the date they will expire and soft pulls indicating those are just being provided for your information and have no effect on your credit score. After rereading the OP's initial posting, since the OP stated "Collection Companies," those companies are probably authorized to pull his credit reports by the main creditor with his signed permission when he signed the original credit application. Don't know if he could dispute those since they would be under different names as collection agencies but anything is worth a shot!

Comment

Definitely can dispute them and have them removed... it's still not a new account. It's no different than if you had an MBNA credit card which became a BofA card. I still think they are probably soft pulls, but if not, dispute them!
                BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

I doubt they are hard pulls. This confuses a lot of people, because when you, as the consumer, pull a credit report, you SEE the soft pulls, no regular user of a credit report sees the soft pulls.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X